Saturday, January 24, 2009

For the m-f'n WIN!!!

So we got a big ol' TV. Huge really. 52 inches of HD projection TV goodness. We picked this up a few months ago when we moved to this house. Got a good deal and it has been sweet watching movies on it. I mean it fucking rocks.

Well it has always had a few quirks. It would flicker when we would first turn it on. Not often and once it flickered it would be fine for the rest of the time.

Well that was until last night. I was playing music through it (I use XBMC and Boxee for media centers) and after dinner I noticed it was off. At first I thought one of the boys shut it down before dinner. That is until I tried to turn it back on. The sound of crackling and good burning stench came from the back of the TV. SHIT!!!

Well this wasn't a 10 year old Wal-Mart special. It was a relatively new, and expensive to replace, tellie. So out came the tools and I began to tear it down. Piece by piece I pulled stuff off. At first I had my fingers crossed and hoped that it was the mounds of dust and dirt inside. A dust off later, and it was still making the racket. So I finally started to look for the short and found it. It was under one of the main boards.

When I pulled it apart I found this...



So there was the source of all the trouble. Well at first I figured that I would try and find parts, no luck. Then I located a repair place, but that costs money, more than I got at least. So I figured hell with it, I am just gonna fix it myself. If I make it worse, what did I lose, I was gonna have to replace the board anyway.

So today me and the boys went off to Radio Shack and picked up some tools. $25 bucks later I had what I needed.






And I was off to work. A bit of cleaning and scraping and we were ready to work. After a few minutes I had this...



So it ain't pretty, but it works!!!



And right now we got XBMC playing some Howl's Moving Castle and the screen actually looks better than it ever has. Sometimes saying "fuck it" actually pays off.

And other times it comes and bites you in the ass, but we won't go there today.

No comments: