Saturday, February 02, 2008

Back in business

Well well. Here I am writing about something that I have DONE, not talked about doing. What in the world happened? Ahh yes, I got the Ultimatum.

So today we all went outside. My little one was visiting his grandmother. So T and her little one came out for a little bit and practiced their Heelys. And I took a few pics.

100_0464

After that, I went into the carport and started doing a little bit of work. Just a little. I started taking a few measurements for the front end. Here is what I have.

The neck stem appears to be 1"
The neck height is 7 7/16"
The width of the bearing cup is 1 15/16"

I think it means that my frame is set up H-D style. I am going to post these measurements on hondachopper and make sure.

100_0477

Then I took measurements for the length of the front end. I think I am going to give up on the Fury. It needs a lot of work and I am without the money to do a proper job for it. I am going to save it and maybe in a while I can take it out and get everything done properly.

So with a 3" trail the front end needs to be about 23" or a touch more. I don't have much in the way of ground clearance. Bottom rails sitting level is at 3 1/2" And with a 23" front I would be at 4" in the front and 3 1/2" in the rear. If I am not mistaken, 23" would be a 2" over. If I decide not to go with a girder, I will run a springer. So off to shop.

And then I pulled the valve cover off.

100_0475

It is nice and clean. Not a touch of sludge. Talk about a damn fine surprise. I had pretty well figured that the innards of the motor were going to be like the frame of this beast. But maybe someone took decent care of it. Or at least didn't abuse it like the frame. So hot damn, I may not be starting up a time bomb. I had pretty well figured on it scattering parts and then picking up a replacement motor.

A big thanks needs to go out to T and her putting her foot down. I had forgotten just how much I enjoy going out and dicking around on this thing. Sometimes it takes a detour or two to figure out just where you should have been all along.

No comments: