Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Never waste good time on a bad idea.

OK, I know there has to be market for this thing. But it is definitely not something I would be so hot to trot about.

And here is the Can Am Spyder.

dsc00437

From looking at the web site, this thing has the same motor that Buell uses in their sport bikes. Stability control, adaptive steering, ABS, adjustable suspension, cup holders and a DVD player. OK, so I am kidding about the last two, but you get the idea. This thing has every gadget in the world to make it a safe and fun ride.

Let's go to the styling. It looks kinda like a snowmobile with wheels to me. Not to say snowmobiles are ugly, but I am not really a fan of them. But this is Utah, so there are a lot of folks that get their rocks off on them, so who am I to judge?

So what is my visual and academic impression of this thing? It seems like a killjoy to me. I mean it is safe, with what I consider to be dull styling, and did I mention safe? See, I think trikes rock. I have every intention on building a classic rear engine trike someday out of a Corvair with a powerglide. But this just ain't my cup o' tea. It just seems like the soccer moms and NASCAR dads are getting too damned involved in what I love the most about motorcycles. The inherent lack of safety and rules. Motorcycles are supposed to be dangerous. I mean what fun is it when you have airbags, ABS, and stereos.

Maybe I am wrong here. But the lack of crap is why I like older cars, bikes and tools. Don't save me from myself. I am Darwinism at work.

No comments: