Monday, May 28, 2007

Making a steel whistle.

No not really.

I did start drilling for the slugs. I know they need to be made, so might as well do it now.

100_0348

The next one is a bit blurry, but you can see what I am doing.

100_0349

This is the first time I have done this type of repair on a frame, so anyone that sees where I could go wrong with this let me know. I saw a post on chopperweb.info that showed using slits instead of holes to make shifting the slug around better. Of course that was after I drilled the holes.

I was concerned a bit about twisting so I drilled the holes at different distances 45 degrees from each other. Hope that no matter how it is twisted there would be something to help counter-balance the force.

100_0350

Next thing I did was begin prepping for the tank mounts. I had originally thought about using the same style of mounts I had cut off the tank, but changed my mind and devised a new plan. Hopefully not an extremely stupid one. But a plan nonetheless.

100_0351

1" flat stock drilled for bolts. I am going to weld the bolts onto this and clean it all up to be smooth. Before I do that, I need to get to work with a hammer to get a decent arc on the steel to follow the arc of the backbone tubing better. Then I will weld long bolts and cut them to length.

100_0352

Then it will be welded into the the tunnel of the tank. After the edges and arc has been cleaned up.

100_0354

Then I will use a strip of rubber to dampen the shakes and slide it down through the bar and I know where I can get some killer chrome spike nuts to tighten it all down.

And if I fuck it up. I guess I will fill it back up and then buy a sportster tank to get me by.

No comments: